The Campaign for the Earth started as a network at a conferense in Sedona, USA in
1989. The initiator of the Campaign was Sasha White. In 1990 an International Conference
was hold in Gothenburg, Sweden with participants from 16 countries. Since 1991 the
Campaign for the Earth has NGO-status at the United Nations.
By way of background information John Maskel, after the New
Harmony, Indiana CfE conference and
before Rio, met Marilyn Ashby at a pre-Rio conference in Toronto who described to him the
vision of Campaign for the Earth. Subsequently, they have between then represented Campaign
for the Earth in many ways such as:
- The World Congress for Education and Communication on
Environment and Development in Toronto, Ontario October 1992;
- The Ontario Social Development Planning Conference in Picton,
Ontario April 1994;
- PrepCom II, and the Intercession for the World Summit for
Social Development (WSSD) at the UN in New York, August and October 1994, PrepCom III for
WSSD at the UN in New York, January 1995, WSSD in Copenhagen, March 1995;
- The Glenview Initiative in Toronto, May 1995;
- The G7 Economic Summit in Halifax, June 1995;
- A Study Tour and Round Table Discussion on the Debt Crisis in
Tanzania, September 1995;
- The World Bank Conference "Promoting Ethics and Spiritual
Values in Financing Environmentally Sustainable Development," October 1995 and
follow-up to the World Bank Conference, November 1995, Washington D.C.;
- PrepCom I for the Micro-Credit Summit, Washington, D.C.,
- PrepCom III for HABITAT II (The Cities' Summit) at the UN in
New York, February 1996, and Habitat II in Istanbul, June 1996;
- The World Bank Conference, "Rural Well-Being: from Vision
to Action" Washington, D.C. September 1996.
- UNGASS in New York 1997.
Copyright © 2005 by The
Campaign for the Earth Foundation. All rights reserved.
comments send e-mail to